Mere’s Nice Recipe Pairing for the Orion Entertaining Collection Smoked Squash, Pumpkin and Beet Salad Paired with the Beau Vigne Sauvignon Blanc
1 pie pumpkin
1 butternut squash
4-6 beets (I used a mix of red and golden)
4-6 cups of arugula
4-5 oz herbed goat cheese (I recommend Laura Chenel’s Thyme & Rosemary)
½ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp white balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil + more for brushing on squash and beets
Salt and pepper
- Steam beets just until tender (about 10-15 minutes). Once cooled remove the skin.
- Prepare squash and pumpkin by cutting in half and scooping out seeds.
- Season squash, pumpkin and beets with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Follow the directions to set-up the wood chips in the Orion Cooker. We used Orion wood chips for vegetables and fish (if using your own wood chips, we suggest using apple or pecan wood for softer smoke flavors).
- Following the directions for the Orion cooker, place squash and pumpkins on the grates and start the cooking process with just these because they will take a little longer than the beets.
- Cook the squash for about 30 minutes and then add the beets and continue to cook for another Once there is only about ½ hour left of cooking time for squash, add the beets to the Orion Cooker (Since the skin was removed from the beets, they’ll absorb more smoke flavor, therefore in order to avoid excessive smoke flavor we only cooked them in the Orion for about 30 minutes.)
- While these are cooking, prepare dressing by combining orange juice, vinegar and olive oil in a Mason jar or other jar with a lid so you can shake to mix.
- Remove pumpkin, squash and beets from cooker and cool slightly.
- While they’re cooling toss the arugula with the dressing.
- One pumpkin and squash are cool enough to handle, remove from skin and cut into cubes. And then cut beets into same size cubes.
- Top arugula with squash, beets nuts and cheese.
- Enjoy with Beau Vigne Sauvignon Blanc!
*This salad is best when served fresh and while the smoked vegetables are still warm.