In honor of Mother’s Day this month...
I’m celebrating special women in my life, whether they’re a mom or not. And since our theme at Major Crush for May is Brunch it only seems appropriate to pair our Crush Collection Sparkling Rosé with a brunch recipe!
Mother’s Day is a perfect day to honor the women in your life who have had an impact on you. Thus, part of my goal with this month’s Pair with Mere is to create a recipe that can be prepared ahead of time to deliver as a gift to any of these special ladies, or it can be enjoyed as part of a Sunday Funday with friends!
The ingredients in this breakfast strata can be adapted to suit anyone’s tastebuds, but the true benefit is that since it’s prepared the evening before it creates a no-hassle, stress free morning. Just bake it, uncork the sparkling rosé and voilà brunch is served!
* Olive oil
* 1 onion, diced
* 1-2 garlic cloves, grated
* Package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
* Head of broccoli, chopped (frozen works too, or use any other veggies you have on hand and enjoy)
* 4-5 cups of bread torn into chunks (your choice of what type of bread, but either slightly stale or slightly toasted—I use a combo of baguette and whole grain bread)
* 4 large eggs and 4 egg whites
* 2 cups low-fat or non-fat milk
* 2 tsps thyme, minced
* 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
* Salt and pepper
* 1-1 cups grated cheese (Use any cheese or combo of cheese you prefer—I use a mixture of Mozzarella, Jack & Parmigiano-Reggiano)
* Optional-ground sausage
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for two minutes, followed by the broccoli and bell pepper and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. **If using sausage, first cook the sausage, remove from the pan and cook the onions, garlic and veggies and then combine together off the heat.
2. Whisk the eggs and egg whites. Add the milk, Dijon, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk until combined. Stir in the cheese, reserving a couple tablespoons to sprinkle on top.
3. Place the torn bread in the bottom of a baking dish (approximately 9 x 13-inch that has been sprayed with olive oil or a cooking spray).
4. Spread cooled vegetable mixture over the bread and then pour the egg mixture over the bread, making sure all the bread is covered with the liquid mixture.
5. Top with extra cheese mixture and/or grate Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (This prepared portion can be delivered as a gift with the cooking instructions for morning).
6. In the morning, remove from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature for about 30 minutes and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
7. Uncover strata and cook for approximately one hour or until the top is golden brown.
8. It can be served warmed or at room temperature.
9. Uncork Sparkling Rosé and enjoy!
**Mixed berries or melon are delicious accompaniment to the strata to complete the Brunch!